Tonight, I took a walk in the Celery Bog park. When I move out I think it's the park that I will miss most - being able to step out the door and smell nothing but wildflowers and trees, and hear nothing but crickets and frogs. The sun was almost down, and raked across the bottoms of the low-hanging clouds, making them look like they were on fire.
I saw:
- A muskrat, swimming out into the lake.
- About ten frogs sitting in the water on the shore. Nine were facing north and one was facing south. I guess either he is a trend setter or an old stick in the mud. Either way those frogs are not very camouflaged, they have bright yellow throats.
- There was some of what looked like oil on one part of the shore, next to some mashed-down grass and a few large goose feathers. I can only imagine some weird oil-drunk goose/fratgoose tussle.
- The tall grass on the east side of the path was all mown down. I'm sure whoever runs the park had a good reason for it, but it looks ugly and dead now.
- A doe ran across the path in front of me. I wonder if it was the same deer Dan and I saw last summer in these woods. I like the way deer run - sort of sproing! sproing!, and the exclamation mark is definitely part of the maneuver.
- An ant tugging what looked like the corpse of a spider across the path. Do ants eat dead spiders? That story is probably a good one.
- A frog like the earlier ones, sitting upon the path. I shooed him off of the path. Frogs are not supposed to hang out on asphalt and I would be sad if he got squished. I probably shooed him the wrong way though - into the grass instead of towards the lake.
No comments:
Post a Comment